Share this job
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800 companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.
We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
At NRC, we know diversity enables excellence in research and innovation. We are committed to a diverse and representative workforce, an open and inclusive work environment, and contributing to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system.
NRC welcomes all qualified applicants and encourages candidates to self-declare as members of the following designated employment equity groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Please advise of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. They are available to all candidates for further assessment. Related information received will be addressed confidentially.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Technical Officer to support our Aquatic and Crop Resource Development Research Centre. The Technical Officer would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity. The successful candidate will play an important role within a team working towards supporting the chemical synthesis activities of the Advanced Biomaterials and Chemical Synthesis team. The team produces a wide range of chemical products for internal and external clients including small molecules, nanomaterials, and polymers from mg to kg-scale for health, agriculture and material science applications. Responsibilities will include the provision of technical support services in designing, planning, preparing, conducting and analyzing various experiments and/or tests, and the coordination and maintenance of the chemical synthesis laboratory and related equipment.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
A Bachelor’s degree in chemistry would be considered an asset.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Experience in synthesis and purification of bio-based materials and nanomaterials.
- Experience with methods and techniques related to preparing for, conducting, documenting and analyzing experiments/tests for the production of catalysts and their application in chemical transformation reactions.
- Experience with the safe operation, maintenance, verification, and installation of equipment and laboratory apparatus such as chemical reactors and instrumentation required to characterize chemical compounds.
- Experience working in a project management focused multi-disciplinary research environment.
- Knowledge of applied practices and concepts relating to catalysis. General knowledge of related industry trends, developments and best practices.
- Knowledge relating to the synthesis of bio-based materials and nanomaterials.
- Knowledge relating to scaling-up syntheses.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety best practices required to create and maintain a safe and healthy laboratory/work environment.
- Ability to analyze and discuss technical issues, troubleshoot and solve problems relating to chemical synthesis and the operation of chemical reactors and analytical instrumentation required to characterize chemical compounds.
- Ability to write reports and draft protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Research Technician/Technologist - Communication (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Initiative (Level 1)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Results orientation (Level 2)
- Research Technician/Technologist - Teamwork (Level 1)
Salary Range Notes
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
*If you are currently a term or continuing employee at NRC, please apply through the SuccessFactors Careersmodule from your NRC computer.
Date Modified: 2020-07-23
If you encounter accessibility issues using this site, please call 1-613-993-0762 or email us at NRC-Staffing/CNRC-Dotation@canada.ca for assistance.