Researcher / analyst
Research Agronomist - Camrose, AB-CAM00782
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
The Research Agronomist position is responsible for the execution of research protocols for successful performance evaluation of candidate hybrids including all aspects of field trial management. Maintain, repair and acquire research equipment to support achievement of a high performance research program in coordination with the North American Research Team. Identify field plot cooperators and coordinate site stewardship, contracts and payments. Conduct special projects including identification of progress improvements related to successful research trial management. Administer work requirements of safety program and location operation. Supervision of work crews and summer interns. Provide technical and marketing support to the Sales Territory Managers to promote the Victory brand.
40% - Management of field research trials including land selection and contracting, site development, all aspects of agronomic trial management, including seeding, spraying, maintenance and harvest. Contributes to management plan and follows strict protocols for trait stewardship. Data submission to breeding team.
30% - Maintenance and management of equipment, safety and facility.
10% - Maintain nursery plots supporting all aspects of agronomic support including disease nursery conduct. Contributes to management plan and follows strict protocols for trait stewardship.
10% - Special projects including improvements and data management.
10% - Provide support to Victory Hybrid TMs field tours and other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years’ small plot field research experience
- Ability to work flexible hours and overtime
- Ability to travel within Canada as well as potential for international travel to provide support to the North American Breeding Program will be required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Applications
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Strong knowledge of research equipment use, repair and maintenance
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be legally entitled to work for Cargill in Canada
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture or related field
- 3 years’ experience in Western Canadian breeding program including small plot and nursery research design methods
- Experience using GPS guidance technology
- Knowledge of provincial and federal rules and regulations regarding canola production
- Knowledge of hybrid canola breeding and seed production
Abilities/ Success Factors:
- Motivates for high performance and excellence
- Sees what needs to be done, assesses the degree of urgency and importance. Sees beyond the boundaries of his or her immediate responsibilities to those of the entire organization
- Demonstrates respect, candor, and commitment in relationships with peers and staff
- The Research Agronomist role prepares the individual for the opportunity to acquire and develop skills in agronomy, breeding, production and confined trial conduct and execution.
- The successful candidate will gain skills in team leadership, engagement, and communication within a high performance environment. This position will have opportunities to interact with seed production and commercial marketing teams across Cargill (GEOSNA and CASCNA)