Hiring restraint in effect
The University of Calgary has implemented a hiring restraint. As a result, job opportunities are currently limited. All available opportunities with UCalgary are posted here on our careers website.
Job ID: 20791
The Department of Biological Sciences in the Faculty of Science invites applications for a Plant Molecular Biologist. This Fixed Term Recurring Part-time position is for approximately 9 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
This position reports to the Principal Investigator, and will support the research in the group on plant protein phosphorylation, in particular the role of protein phosphorylation in the plant peroxisome. The individual will carry out bench work to elucidate the roles of protein kinases and phosphatases in the peroxisome. They will also act as mentor to undergraduate/graduate students in the group.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Perform experiments (cloning, microscopy, protein expression and purification, western blots, genetics and enzyme assays) designed by supervisor and will lead organization and design of some work
- Interacts with co-investigators and collaborators, and information is provided obtained in a courteous and timely manner.
- Develops and implements research plans and analysis based on overall research plans
- Communicates with the PI about the progress and results of research activities in a timely manner
- Contributes to peer review publications using appropriate analysis journal format
- Provides mentorship to undergraduate, graduate students
- Plays a role in laboratory monitoring and upkeep and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Assists the PI in grant proposal applications and other aspects of research report.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- PhD in the area of plant molecular biology and/or biochemistry would be an asset
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
- Experience in using the model plant, Arabidopsis thaliana is required.
- Have demonstrated experience in record-keeping and ability to accurately report on research findings
- Must be creative and bring new ideas to project
- Experience in literature searching, including libraries, web sites and other media.
- Strong communication skills (written, oral, and listening)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- Mentorship skills (to undergraduate/graduate and collaborators)
Application Deadline: July 10, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase I.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Science visit Careers in the Faculty of Science.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.