Research assistant / technician
Amazing student experiences, state-of-the-art facilities, and opportunities to make your place in the world.UPEI continues to excel in student enrolment, research, and faculty awards.MTS Level 6 - Animal Health Technician (RVT) - Small Animal Hospital Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary CollegeCompetition Number:Position:Contract:Salary:
$54,497 to $59,958 per annum as per CUPE 1870
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment with leading veterinary specialist experts? Do you want to be part of shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital requires an Animal Health Technician to work as a floater in the Small Animal Hospital in the VTH. This individual will be based in the small animal treatment room with primary responsibilities in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, and secondary support of Anesthesia, Community Practice, ICU, and other specialty services.
Under supervision, job responsibilities will include:
- Rounding with SA Medicine and Surgery technicians upon arrival, attend rounds at the end of the day, and communicate treatment plans and patient updates to ICU technicians for hospitalized patients
- Working with technicians and clinicians in the small animal hospital to anticipate, organize, and prioritize cases that need to be assisted with throughout the day
- Completing and assisting with treatment orders for patients
- Ability to perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including animal handling and restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Stocking and maintaining supplies in various locations
- Updating patient billing
- Assist in the maintenance of medical records
- Support veterinary students, technician students, and junior veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs with confidence and compassion
- Monitoring progression of hospitalized patients
- Maintaining biosecurity standards
- Work in a position of flux and change that may revolve around and through many services within the small animal hospital, thus requiring a good working knowledge and team based approach with all services within the VTH
- Support small animal hospital clinicians, VTH SA interns, and primary service technicians with client/rDVM communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education/care)
- Must be able to work on call shifts on a rotational basis participating in either SA Surgery or SA Anesthesia on-call
- Other related duties as assigned
- RVT designation is required
- 1 plus years of experience working in a clinical setting in anesthesia
- Preference given to individuals with advanced technical skills in internal medicine and surgery (including oncology, endoscopy, epidurals, nerve blocks, transfusion medicine, emergency medicine)
- Preference given to individuals with demonstrated experience in specialty referral or academic practice
- Demonstrated ability to perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required including sedation, monitoring, recovery, venipuncture, catheter placement, patient monitoring, patient preparation for surgical/medical procedures, technical assistance with small animal surgical/medical procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and with demonstrated experience in client communication/education
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with computerized medical records is required, with preference to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks, SmartFlow and/or Cubex
- Self-motivated with demonstrated skills in multi-tasking, time-management, and adaptability
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team and a possessing a positive attitude
- Must be able to work flexible hours on occasion, participate in on-call, and be reliable
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
550 University Ave, Charlottetown 1-800-606-UPEI or 902-628-4353