Junior industry position
Microbiologist (Contract - 18 Months)
Apotex is a proudly Canadian, global pharmaceutical company that produces high-quality, affordable medicines (both generic and innovative pharmaceuticals) for patients around the world. We are the 7th largest generic pharmaceutical company globally with more than 12,000 employees and estimated sales of approximately $3 billion. Our fully integrated operation is comprised of four lines of business: Global Generics; Apobiologix; Global Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API); and ApoPharma (Innovative Products). With our worldwide manufacturing sites, Apotex can produce up to 24 billion dosages per year. We produce 300 medicines in 4,000 dosages and formats that are exported to 115 countries. Apotex will spend $2 billion over the next 10 years on research and development.
Under the direction of Laboratory Supervisors, the Microbiologist QS5 will perform microbiological testing on products (commercial, R&D development and stability) and water samples within the Apotex group of companies. Other Microbiological Laboratory related duties such as identification of isolates and growth promotion testing will also be conducted as required.
The Microbiologist QS5 is responsible for generating accurate results while following GMP requirements in accordance with established compendial and in-house methods.
This is an AFTERNOON SHIFT role - 3.00 PM - 11.00 PM.
- Displays an understanding of and proficiency in Microbiological Testing of Non-Sterile Products, Environmental monitoring and other Pharmaceutical Microbiology Lab related activities.
- Good understanding of compendial requirements pertaining to microbiological test activities. Works collaboratively with microbiologists and the supervisor in troubleshooting obstacles.
- Demonstrates a good working knowledge of LIMS and SAP & Microapps transactions.
- Assists senior microbiologist in the execution of protocols.
- Ensures testing is conducted in a timely manner to meet required turn-around times.
- Accountable to maintain compliance with assigned training plan pertinent to job functions. .
- With a keen eye for detail, performs verification of microbial test results and calculations generated by peers.
- Ensures timely communication of any out of specification and out of trend investigations to supervisor.
- Ensures issues regarding methodology and instrumentation are communicated to Leadership.
- Coordinates and monitors the availability of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Promotes a positive work environment, motivating peers.
- Ensures that all work is performed in compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices, Standard Operating Procedures, established safety standards, compendial and other regulatory requirements.
- Performs all work in support of our Corporate Values of Pride, Accountability, Integrity and Diligence.
- All other duties as assigned
- 1 years’ experience in Microbiology Laboratory preferred. Prior experience in Pharmaceutical Industry preferred
- Good knowledge of microbiological techniques including aseptic technique
- Good Computer skills; prior experience with LIMS would be an advantage.
- Able to interpret results and perform work with minimal supervision.
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented with excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong understanding and utilization of GMP and GLP.
- Proven organizational and time management skills, as demonstrated through previous work and/or experience.
- Job will require repetitive, routine bench-work including activities such as pipetting, serial dilutions and sub-culturing.
At Apotex, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Apotex offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.