Manitoba Metis Federation Posted: October 11th, 2019 Expires: October 16th, 2019
The Manitoba Metis Federation (MMF) is the official democratic and self-governing representative for the Metis Nation’s Manitoba Metis Community. The Manitoba Metis are Canada’s Negotiating Partners in Confederation and the Founders of the Province of Manitoba.
The MMF seeks to fill one (1) full-time term Metis Land Use and Knowledge Coordinator position within our Energy and Infrastructure Department located at 150 Henry Ave in Winnipeg, MB, with an end date of March 31, 2021.
- Coordinate, design and conduct Metis land use and knowledge research studies to gather, preserve and protect traditional and contemporary Metis land use and knowledge;
- Engage with the Manitoba Metis Community’s Citizens and harvesters to better understand and represent their historical and contemporary knowledge of, connection to, and use of the land and resources;
- Manage, augment and utilize the MMF Traditional Knowledge and Land Use catalogue and database to protect and advance the collectively held rights, claims and interests of the Metis Nation;
- Collaborate with the team to coordinate and implement various programs and initiatives including Participant Funding Program applications, traditional land use studies and community meetings;
- Facilitate Citizen involvement in project planning and decision making in engagement and consultation processes and related matters with Manitoba, Canada, Industry and others;
- Attend and assist with community consultation meetings as required;
- Assist with program budget, cash flow and reports as required;
- Perform office duties and coordinate travel for project related matters;
Skills and Qualifications:
- Several years’ experience in policy and program development. An equivalent/combination of experience may be considered;
- Experience with traditional ecological knowledge research and policy development;
- Experience working with leadership in community settings;
- Proficient in Geographical Information System (GIS) such as ArcGIS and QGIS;
- Knowledge of local, federal and provincial resources;
- Superior writing and editing skills;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical and time management skills;
- Knowledge of broad range of social policy issues;
- Experience working for an Indigenous not-for-profit organization is an asset;
- Knowledge of Metis culture and MMF programs and services is a definite asset;
- Ability to travel, valid Manitoba Driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including; health, dental, vision, pension and vacation. Access to an on-site fitness facility as well as an in-house restaurant is available.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in Word format, referencing the job posting number by Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
Preference will be given to qualified Metis applicants and they are encouraged to self-identify on their cover letter. The MMF encourages internal applicants to apply for career opportunities within our Government.
MMF Human Resources Department Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 115-6, A.E. McKenzie Building 270 - 18th Street