Mid-level industry position, researcher / analyst
Navigation Job ID: 18300
The Dean's Office in the Faculty of Science is currently seeking a Full-time Limited Term Data Specialist & Project Coordinator for approximately 1 year.
Reporting to the Vice Dean, this position is responsible for compiling and providing accurate and detailed information, report and analyses to members of the Faculty leadership team (Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Deans and Department Heads) to facilitate strategic decision making.
Data Analysis, Reporting and Communication
- Primary resource for compiling and collating institutionally provided, faculty-level data
- Data extraction/reporting/analyses for all Faculty activities (e.g. student enrollments and retention, international projects, awards, research projects, research funding, economic impact, innovation metrics, international, communications, benchmarking, etc.)
- Compile data to support nominations of faculty and staff for prestigious internal and external awards/honours
- Provide, relevant, meaningful and accurate statistical reports relevant to the target audience; provide statistical data and visualization, in the form of graphs, charts, and tables as appropriate, about key indicators of operational performance towards Faculty and Institutional strategic plans
- Meet with key stakeholders to understand their data needs and obtain/analyze data to provide quality and timely reports for strategic decision-making; implementation plan coordination and tracking (data intensive metrics)
- Responsible for presenting relevant data and project information to Dean's Advisory Committee, Research and Scholarship Committee, Resource Manager Team, Awards Committee and others as needed
- Regularly work with senior management including RSO staff, Department Heads and committees
- Regularly act as a resource for improved services, recommendations and practices within the Faculty of Science
Project Coordination Support
- Work closely with the Dean and Vice-Dean on strategic projects including unit reviews, reporting to university, government, etc. as required
- Develop high-quality presentations of Faculty-level data; ensure proper university branding is followed
- Provide leadership to staff as required and lead Faculty project teams in the development, implementation, and maintenance of multiple projects and programs
- Develop and implement communication plans to ensure that all project team members are apprised of their project accountabilities and the project status
- Establish, implement, track, and evaluate project plans
- Create communication materials for strategic projects
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Experience in quantitative discipline is an asset (e.g. statistics, computer science, mathematics, physics, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience in statistical analysis of data, data presentation, database creation/monitoring, strategic communication documentation writing and review
- Previous Experience:
- with Business Intelligence applications and tools with an emphasis on reporting, data mining and advanced analytics
- with aspects of Information Management such as the collection and use of information from multiple sources in both structured and unstructured formats
- with database design as it pertains to Information Management
- with data integration in the context of the unified reporting of Enterprise owned, Business Unit owned and externally owned data
- SQL Query writing
- Microsoft BI stack
- Knowledge in Human Computer Interaction related to Usability and User Interface
- Experience providing business users (non-technical users) the ability to dynamically interact with the data in intuitive ways
- Experience in a University environment with knowledge of University policies and procedures pertaining to various departments and units (Student Administration, Academic, Research, Finance, etc.) is an asset
- Excellent communication, facilitation, management, interpersonal and analytical skills are essential
- Knowledge of the academic, teaching and research funding landscape is necessary
- Strong knowledge of inter-related university systems and procedures and how they support the mission and strategic vision of the Faculty of Science and the University
- Work independently and adapt to multiple competing priorities
- Experience in report writing; ability to connect with both technical and non-technical audiences essential
Application Deadline: May 24, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase 2.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Science visit Careers in the Faculty of Science.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.