Research assistant / technician
Navigation Job ID: 20825
Animal Care Services under the VP Research is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Core Support Technician.
This position reports to the Life and Environmental Science Animal Resource Centre (LESARC) Facility Manager and Senior Animal Care Supervisor under the direction of the University Veterinarian. The primary purpose of this position is animal related husbandry; the cleaning of animal cages, racks, pans and water bottles as well as general facility sanitation including but not limited to floors, washrooms, laundry and refuse removal. You must be aware of and follow safety procedures and standards in the handling of cleaning chemicals (WHMIS) and large automated equipment according to facility SOP's. You must be able to adjust work routine to meet daily facility needs and be comfortable working in an animal environment with high exposure to animal allergens.
- Scraping and processing dirty animal caging and associated items.
- Ensuring availability of autoclaved and/or sanitized materials, including caging, racks, bottles, animal enrichment, bedding, linens and other supplies.
- Provide daily/weekly/monthly custodial sanitation, housekeeping and laundry to maintain facility biosecurity.
- Operation, monitoring, maintenance and minor general repairs of large specialized cleaning equipment.
- Operation of University vehicle for animal deliveries, pickups and facility purchases.
- Able to demonstrate good judgement, time management and problem solving skills.
- May be required to assist with animal husbandry duties which would include daily rounds; providing food and water, changing cages and handling animals.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Previous operation and maintenance of large industrial equipment an asset.
- High physical demand for lifting and standing for long periods of time in a warm, noisy environment.
- Ability to work independently while supporting others within the facility team.
- Working knowledge of cleaning chemicals (acids and bases), sanitation and sterilization principles and associated safety required in operation of equipment and facility sanitation.
- Valid Alberta driver's license with clean driving record.
- Demonstrated skills in time management and ability to prioritize work.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Possess strong personal effectiveness skills.
Application Deadline: July 17, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the General Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Research assistant / technician