Child & Family Services Worker Expires: June 28th, 2019
SP4 Social Services Worker 4
Flin Flon MB, The Pas MB, Thompson MB
Advertisement Number: 35307
Closing Date: June 28, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resume or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities. Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
This competition will be used to establish an eligibility list to fill current and future regular, term, part-time and/or fulltime positions within The Pas, Flin Flon and Thompson office locations, subject to staffing approval. The eligibility list will remain in effect for 6 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Applicants who are graduating with a Bachelor of Social Work or Bachelor of Human Ecology (Family Studies) within the next six months are encouraged to apply.
For more information about The Pas, Manitoba, please visit the website: Town of the Pas For more information about Flin Flon, Manitoba, please visit the website: City of Flin Flon For more information about Thompson, Manitoba, please visit the website: City of Thompson
The Child and Family Services Worker is responsible for the full range of statutory child welfare services to families and children within the designated geographical area. This dynamic position requires effective social work case management skills as well as establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals, families, services providers and agencies.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a valid driver's license with the ability to travel within the Province of Manitoba
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and statutory holidays on occasion
- Must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search)
- Must provide a satisfactory Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must provide a satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Post Secondary Degree in Social Sciences, preferably Bachelor of Social Work or Bachelor of Human Ecology (Family Studies)
- Case management experience (including intakes, assessments, service coordination, counselling and monitoring) in a social service setting. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered at an underfill or commensurate classification and salary level
- Ability to work from a strength based social work practice
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and organize work demands
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Effective written communication skills
- Ability to conduct child abuse investigations
The successful candidate will perform a range of duties that include: intake, conducting abuse investigations, developing case plans to ensure child safety, coordinating support services, working with collateral community agencies, assisting with intake and after-hours services to children and families. They will play a key role in the management of protection, voluntary family service and child in care cases.
What we offer:
- A career in a helping and caring profession with the ability to make a profound and lasting impact in the lives of people
- A positive work environment where you can build successful and long-lasting professional relationships with coworkers who will share their knowledge and expertise with you
- Every day is different with variety in tasks and challenges
- Training from orientation to on-going professional development within Child and Family Services that will give you the tools you need to be successful
- The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long-term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan. Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resume and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Room 115-6, A.E. McKenzie Building 270 - 18th Street